How I published my first CreateSpace book
Many authors have used CreateSpace with great success and I've happily suggested it to clients. But just how easy is it to turn a manuscript into a perfectly produced paperback?

11 – Size matters...?

100 DPI
I'm an impatient writer, actually I'm just an impatient person. I'm so wrapped up in the project that I keep looking ahead. Yes, the writing is progressing – but it's still going to be some time before I finish the first draft, let alone have the final manuscript ready for editing and proofreading.

Despite all that, I dipped into the murky waters of CreateSpace today. I found a fascinating site offering a blow-by-blow guide to uploading a book. But one thing stuck out – images that are less than 300 DPI will be rejected. Rejected? How can that be? My images are barely 100 DPI and yet I have them enlarged and on canvases without any issues.

Further reading revealed that DPI is almost irrelevant. I could sympathise with that blogger, but what about the folk at CreateSpace? To them, size matters.

I posted a query on their forum – many had previously despaired at this rule. On the CreateSpace Help Pages it clearly stated that,  'For optimal printing we suggest that all images for both the cover and interior are at least 300 DPI. As this is a recommendation only, you will be notified during the file review process if there are low resolution images, however, you may still move forward with the files as is.'

I also emailed CreateSpace's Help Desk. 

A search on Google revealed that the chap who believes DPI is irrelevant posts an awful lot about it. But I did find some free software. paint.net has done the trick. It's free to download and allows you to do some pretty nifty things with photos.