How I published my first CreateSpace book
Many authors have used CreateSpace with great success and I've happily suggested it to clients. But just how easy is it to turn a manuscript into a perfectly produced paperback?

12 – Publish and be darned?

Hardy's house - Stourcastle
One of the benefits of using CreateSpace is that authors can play God and create their own publishing house. Really? Almost! When you create the blurb that runs before the book begins, you can include the name of your 'publisher'. Your book will have been published using CreateSpace and, if you have used their free ISBN service, they will be listed as its publisher. But using your own name inside the book adds a little polish to your already gleaming work, but what random name should you choose?

I thought long and hard about this one. I wanted a name that had some relevance and connection to me. I live in a small town in north Dorset. For a short time Thomas Hardy lived here, writing some of his work a few minutes' walk from where I live.

Hardy often re-named locations and my town is no exception. Stourcastle features in Tess of the d'Urbervilles and there are many businesses that use the name. The town does indeed have a castle, of sorts, and there's the Stour - the river that runs through Dorset to the coast at Christchurch. Stourcastle Books seemed the perfect name.

But what if a reader sees the name and wants to know more? For less than £5 I've taken the domain name of www.stourcastle.co.uk and linked it to a page on this site.

Hopefully there will be more than one book published – but that's down to me!

As I want to use the free ISBN service offered by CreateSpace, my book will be registered as being published by CreateSpace. On the book's Amazon page, CreateSpace will be listed as the publisher, not Stourcastle Books.

For the purposes of this project, to demonstrate how publishing can be really affordable, I've used the free option.