How I published my first CreateSpace book
Many authors have used CreateSpace with great success and I've happily suggested it to clients. But just how easy is it to turn a manuscript into a perfectly produced paperback?

14 – Biting off more than you can chew?

When should you stop researching? I had become immersed in details that demanded research and it wasn't long before my 'short memoir' was in fear of becoming much more than I had originally intended.

So, before I lost track of my schedule, I decided to call it a day. Yes, I've checked information and yes, I've added facts that I didn't know at the time. But now, I believe, I have the complete manuscript.

It will need editing and proofreading, but the writing is finished. So what's next? It was time to dip into CreateSpace proper and see what was on offer. A few clicks and I had downloaded a formatted template. This blank document has margins set and once you copy your text into it, it begins to look like a book – a real one!

Why do this now? Because I want to check the spacing of paragraphs, that chapters begin on a new page, that punctuation doesn't run off a line. Checking those details is as important as removing typos.

Before you bite off more than you can chew, familiarise yourself with page and section breaks – having those set correctly will be critical to the successful layout of your book. Don't forget that you will need the pages numbered, the CreateSpace template won't do this for you. You need to add every element that will make a perfectly baked book. Or pizza. Either works for me.