How I published my first CreateSpace book
Many authors have used CreateSpace with great success and I've happily suggested it to clients. But just how easy is it to turn a manuscript into a perfectly produced paperback?

20 – The proof is in the reading

Today, two days beyond the 'by now' date, the proof copy arrived. As mentioned in Post 5 I was concerned that the image selected for the cover might be a tad fuzzy. It isn't the clearest and sharpest of images used on a book cover, but the softness suits the title. I'd chosen a matte finish and that seems to complement the softness.

The back of the cover has already changed since I ordered the proof copy. I'd added a logo and my 'author' photo. The blurb had also been tweaked (to accommodate the shock revelation that I have a connection to Elizabeth Taylor!), but I like the clearness of the font and have confidence in the final version.

In Post 11 I mentioned about how some images might be rejected by CreateSpace. Overall I am very, very happy with the reproduction of the images I have included. Novels wouldn't normally include colour photos, but because I wanted  this 'test' project to be something a little different, I went for that option.

The only image that is a little iffy is one taken on my camera by a tourist at the Trevi Fountain. That photo is included because it records a very special evening. It didn't matter then that it's crooked and fuzzy, and it doesn't matter now.

Most importantly, Chapter One begins on page one - and not on the first page of the book (containing the legal blurb). All the chapters begin on uneven pages, something else to check.

Out of ten, how would I score the quality and presentation? Ten. A novel would be very well-suited to CreateSpace and if I'd known I might need a photo suitable for the cover of a book, I might have taken one with a different camera.

What next? Check the text again.