How I published my first CreateSpace book
Many authors have used CreateSpace with great success and I've happily suggested it to clients. But just how easy is it to turn a manuscript into a perfectly produced paperback?

21 – Curly covers

A curly cover
It's now a few days since the proof copy arrived. I haven't re-read it yet – it's too soon since the last read (it's important to leave as much time as possible between reads). But this passing of time isn't wasted. When I created the book's cover I had to choose between a matte or glossy finish. Glossy sounds great, doesn't it? But glossy covers show marks, fingerprints, anything.

I chose the matte finish. Apart from not showing marks, it would also be easier to photograph – at the book's launch where the cameras will surely be flashing away!

The actual cover has a lovely smooth texture, very soft to the touch. But here's the important thing: the pages have not curled. What? Curly covers? Yes, many of the self-published books I've read have glossy covers that begin curling after the first hour's read.

As I read a glossy-covered book I was reviewing, it occurred to me that my book's cover was still flat. Despite not reading my book yet, I have handled it. I've checked the pages run on properly and the images are aligned. It certainly hasn't been stored beyond the reach of my sticky fingers.

As dull as matte sounds, for me it was the perfect choice.