How I published my first CreateSpace book
Many authors have used CreateSpace with great success and I've happily suggested it to clients. But just how easy is it to turn a manuscript into a perfectly produced paperback?

23 – The last lap?

Once I was happy with the proof copy, I went to the ultimate stage – allowing the book to go ‘live’. How long would it take before it’s visible on Amazon? 

In less than five minutes the book appeared on .com and .co.uk – but as ‘unavailable’. Another five minutes passed before it became available on .com and two hours later it was available to order on .co.uk. Two days later and the 'look inside' option was enabled.

Before I began promoting the book I needed another copy. I could have ordered it from CreateSpace in America, but I wasn’t happy about the time it takes for them to arrive. It’s the same with ‘author copies’ – I would save on the royalty, but have to wait almost two weeks. As my royalty is a relatively insignificant amount, I decided to order a copy at full price from Amazon.co.uk.

Ordering it from Amazon and not CreateSpace cost me £10.70 (not that much more). Forty-eight hours later and I had a new copy. Everything looked fine, although I did spot a couple of turned apostrophes. After they'd been corrected I submitted an updated PDF, had the file approved and then waited the twelve or so hours for CreateSpace to confirm its acceptance. Then? Then it's live, available to the masses!

Incidentally, the royalty I 'paid' when I bought that copy was added to my earnings. Eventually I will receive the money, so it's not an extra cost - just a different way of crunching numbers.